1. Although today is the first day of winter, it’s going to be absurdly warm all week. So go outside and listen to some great tunes with Make Music New York Winter! Full schedule is here, with highlights including a bell choir in Dumbo, fiddlers on Flatbush, and kalimba at Trans-Pecos. (Monday, FREE)
2. Or for something holiday-ier, head to Scholes Street Studio for the Secret Opera’s modern take on A Christmas Carol, with period vocal music and an improvised string ensemble. (Monday, $15)
3. Get a jump on your Xmas boozing at Halyards with a drinking game screening of A Christmas Story: some rules include sipping when an adult is in costume and chugging when Ralphie fights back. (Tuesday, FREE)
4. Do something artsy before the family time begins: Silent Barn’s theater-group-in-residence Title:Point presents SalON: Short Day Long Night, featuring butoh dance by Chris Carone, performance from Boom Bat Gesture, music from the Wasps Nests, and much more. (Tuesday, $7–$10)
5. To counterbalance any religiousness you may be feeling, check out Oh My Science at Videology, actor and political satirist Dan Silver’s multimedia science comedy show. (Tuesday, FREE)
6. If you want (somewhat) equal-opportunity holiday laughs, head to Griff & Joe’s Christmas (And to a Lesser Extent, Hannukah) Spectacular, with music from Frankie Cosmos and comedy by Liam McEneaney, Rae Sanni, Bronwyn Ariel Isaac, and more. (Wednesday, $10)
7. Or for a non-Christmas Christmas Eve, check out All Night Balkan Bands at Freddy’s, a monthly showcase with music from Macedonia, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia, and on and on. (Wednesday, FREE)
8. As you are no doubt aware, today is Christmas. Say hi to all your relatives for us, or if you’re still in town, check out our guide for Orphan Christmas eating, drinking, recreation, and movies. It’s going to be about 70º, so for goodness sake go outside.
9. If you’re ready for some excellent sci-fi nerdery to keep Christmas here just a little longer, the Way Station will be screening the 11th incarnation of the Doctor Who Christmas Special. (Friday, FREE)
10. Or if you need to dance all that eggnog off, head to Output for Danny Tenaglia’s Hard & Soul Pajama Party, with a portion of the night’s proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project. (Friday, $20)
One more awesome thing to do: Sign up for our weekly email!