1. What else can you do in this hellish heat but head for water? Join Rooftop Films in Coney Island for Flicks on the Beach, tonight presenting the inimitable Purple Rain. (Monday, Coney Island, FREE)
2. Wyatt Cenac is on vacation, so the always hilarious Night Train has a different guest host each week. Tonight is Giulia Rozzi, with a terrific lineup including Todd Barry, Matteo Lane, Theo Von, Ramon Rivas II, Rob Haze, and Marcia Belsky. (Monday, Littlefield, $5)
3. Help reform our criminal system at Trivia for Justice, a fundraiser, trivia night, and social for the New York chapter of Equal Justice USA, which “works to build a justice system that is the solution instead of the problem.” (Tuesday, Koelner BierHalle, $20)
4. Bring your best short piece of writing for a chance to compete in The Prose Bowl, a competitive flash-fiction open mic with guest judges on hand to critique your work before the audience votes. (Tuesday, Pete’s Candy Store, FREE)
5. With new ferries poised to play a major role during the looming L train shutdown, it’s a great time to learn about their history in this town. At Wednesday Night Tours: Over and Back, Inna Guzenfeld talks through the rise of the NYC ferry system in the 19th century and its influence on the city today. (Wednesday, Brooklyn Bridge Park, $10)
6. Rock the Casbah at Brooklyn Rocks: Strummerjam, a benefit for the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls featuring Clash tribute band Straight to Hell, plus Shellshag, Band Droidz, Squirrels from Hell, and more. (Wednesday, Knitting Factory, $15)
7. Head to the top of Greenpoint for a trifecta of wonderful things — Pizza Night: Flash Wine Pairing, which is just what it sounds like: an evening of pizza and wine in a bookstore. There will be 20 different toppings and a guest chef to advise on your creations. (Thursday, Archestratus Books, $16/pie)
8. Get out of the damn heat and watch the Games with fellow Brooklynites at 2016 Summer Olympics Viewing in the Biergarten, with pop-up talks about the museum exhibition “Who Shot Sports,” which features photos from past Olympic Games. (Thursday, Brooklyn Museum, FREE)
9. Go analog at Horror Boobs’ Night of 1,000 VHS Tapes, with weird and obscure trailers, clips, and a secret feature film, plus “mounds” of videos for trade and sale — bring your own to swap. (Friday, Terra Firma, FREE)
10. Dance out the pending close of the season at The Joint’s End of Summer Party, featuring Nana B and Mari, plus hip-hop, dancehall, and club hits from DJs Simon Sez, Ella Hu$$le, Reez, and Beazy Hype. (Friday, Bushwick Public House, FREE)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply