1. Get spooked by a ghost story, especially if you’re afraid of orphans, mysterious boxes, vengeance or East Texas. Each individually scares a staff writer here. (Monday)
3. Go to a rock and roll fundraiser that benefits a charity started by Paul Newman. Unless you want a ghost following you around saying “What we have here is a failure to communicate.” (Tuesday)
4. An hour-long open bar at Brooklyn Brewery will push your liver to the brink but will delight your taste buds. (Tuesday)
5. There’s a new comedy show at 61 Local called Back Fat. Which is promising, because back fat is the funniest kind of fat. (Tuesday)
6. An art exhibit that answers the question of “What is Brooklyn?” A week later, expect a competing exhibit claiming to have the real answer. (Wednesday)
7. The David Foster Wallace Appreciation Society holds its first meeting. Expect lots of long digressions, bandanas and footnotes. (Wednesday)
8. Combine words with beers and what do you get? In our case, things you have to apologize for the next day. In this case though, you get an excellent local reading series. (Wednesday)
10. Five Quarterly celebrates birthing another issue of its mathematically suspect publication. (Friday)
11. James Brown’s former bass player stops in at Freddy’s. Please please please go see him make it funky.
If you don’t see your event here, but want to, add it to our Events calendar!