1. Get your last selfies of the decade at 29 Rooms, a space where you’re encouraged to explore, create, play, dance, and connect with others (and yourself) in the process. (Fri-Sun, 25 Kent, $25)
2. Nuzzle up with nutcrackers and sugar plum fairies at Greenpointers “The Nutcracker” Holiday Market 2019, a magical winter wonderland filled with local artisans, tasty treats and tons of free interactive activities, plus the first 100 guests gets a signed copy of artist Alex Russell’s The Great Map of Greenpoint poster. (Sunday, Greenpoint Loft, FREE)
3. Get some herstory at Dyke Marches Around the World for a discussion of Dyke Marches around the world, their similarities and differences, how to coordinate with different marches, and more. (Friday, Lesbian Herstory Archives, FREE)
4. Go far out with Sir Roger Penrose in Conversation with Janna Levin, and hear from the man who has made profound contributions to an understanding of the structure of spacetime and geometry, black holes, the unification of quantum mechanics and gravity, and the origin of our universe. (Friday, Pioneer Works, FREE)
5. Put your TV Eye on The Lookout Honeys, NYC’s self-proclaimed premier all-female Stooges tribute band, with 90’s cover bands Altered Native and The Lady Picture Show thereafter. (Friday, Rocky Sullivan’s, $5)
6. Get something weird at the Oddities Flea Market, a one-of-a-kind event presenting delightfully unusual, obscure and rare oddities for all. (Sat-Sun, Villain, $10-15)
7. Learn about your hood at the Brooklyn Cultural District Tour and explore the past, present, and future of this concentration of venues and people is shifting the cultural landscape of the borough and the city. (Saturday, BAM, FREE w/RSVP)
8. Discover unique gifts at the FAD Market, a curated fashion, art and design pop-up marketplace with over 50 of the region’s most talented makers, designers and artisanal food brands. (Sat-Sun, The Invisible Dog, FREE)
9. Take a class at the BUST Craftacular, with over 150 women-owned businesses selling the best in handmade gifts, plus classes led by local artisans and experts, food, drinks, music, and more. (Sat-Sun, Industry City, FREE-$15)
10. Get your “upstate” goods at Phoenicia Flea Holiday, a nomadic market of makers & merchants from the Catskills, Hudson Valley + beyond with handcrafted jewelry, apparel, accessories, apothecary, housewares, furnishings, curated vintage and more. (Sat-Sun, The Williamsburg Hotel, FREE)
11. Bring your own bag to Gold Dust: A Sustainable Holiday Pop Up, showcasing vintage and repurposed goods as essential to a greener future with vendors, panels, workshops, and more. (Sat-Sun, The William Vale, $15-30)
12. Get ready to race at Brooklyn Cranksgiving, a food drive on wheels that is part bike race, part scavenger hunt that started in Manhattan in 1998 and now happens in cities all across the world. (Saturday, Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, FREE)
13. Don’t let it go at The Grudgening: A Comedy Show About (not) Burying the Hatchet and watch local comedy performers tell stories and jokes about grudges of every kind, from the mundane and irrational to the petty and unwarranted. (Saturday, secret location, $7)
14. Stay out late at the All Night Skate Fundraiser with drinks, Japanese comfort food, tarot readings, portraits, face painting, music, and more to help out the Phoenix Community Garden. (Saturday, Little Skips East, FREE)
15. Dance the night away at FOMO X Makossa Holiday Party with the best of Makossa’s cookouts and FOMO’s hip hop and dance culture coming together for one great end of the year party. (Saturday, Elsewhere, FREE-$10)
16. Understand your birth chart better at the Astrology 102 Workshop and cover the four most important points of your chart and how to interpret them. (Friday, Catland, $15)
17. Support local artists at Gowanus Swim Society Holiday Art Market for an assortment of handmade items from their own Swimmers and local artisans, with happy hour specials, tarot card readings, music, and more. (Sunday, Dirty Precious, FREE)
18. Curl up by the fire at the Holiday Party & Mini Goldmine Gift Market with handmade beauty products, oils, candles, accessories and more starting early, culminating in a toasty holiday dance party. (Sunday, Gemini & Scorpio Loft, FREE)
Get cozy Sunday, Dec 8th 1-7pm for the Greenpointers Annual Holiday Marketlocated at 67 West Street! This year’s Nutcracker-inspired holiday market is transforming the rustic Greenpoint Loft into a magical winter wonderland filled with local artisans, tasty treats and TONS of free interactive activities. With so much good cheer under one roof, make it official and RSVP! Come early and stay all day.
19. See big talent in a tiny bodega at Big Irv’s Storytelling Roadshow, a showcase of the best storytelling this side of the river. (Sunday, Big Irv’s, FREE)
20. Draw real life nightmares at Deviante Drawing Salon: Hellbound and transcribe this sensual world onto paper through renderings of your own observation with vignettes of curated drawing poses that will leave you titillated, tormented and keep you attentively bound. (Sunday, The Chanda Lair, $30)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply