[Ed note: Reminder, we now have a separate roundup for activism-focused events, which we encourage you to check out here.]
1. Luxuriate in literature at the Franklin Park Reading Series, this month featuring Jami Attenberg, Nicole Dennis-Benn, Courtney Maum, Elizabeth Crane, Paul Lynch, and Chiwan Choi. (Monday, Franklin Park, FREE)
2. Be motivated by movement at the Summer Shake-Up, an evening of dance and performance with Sans Limites Dance, The Bipeds, Illuminations Dance Company, and more. (Monday, Triskelion Arts, $16)
3. Listen to literary-inspired music at the Bushwick Book Club, with tunes in homage of The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo from Larry Krone, Jessie Kilguss, Sweet Soubrette, Freddie Stevenson, and more. (Tuesday, Barbés, FREE)
4. Don’t bother laughing at Anything But Comedy, where 15 comedians share whatever else they can do, from photography to poetry to songs. (Tuesday, South 4th Bar, FREE)
5. Bring your stapler (well, maybe just a blanket and some snacks) to SummerScreen, this week showing Office Space under the stars, with live music before the film. (Wednesday, McCarren Park, FREE)
6. Find a little bit of everything at Literary Death Match, including read-offs, celebrity judges, “oddballetry,” and a slapstick showdown; featuring Rakesh Satyal, Jamie Brickhouse, Lauren Duca, and more. (Wednesday, Bell House, $12)
7. Get your body moving at the AfroTaino Summer Bash, with music from Agudos Clef, ¡Aparato!, Buyepongo, Calma Carmona, Piélago, and Christian Martir. (Thursday, C’mon Everybody, $20)
8. Laugh yourself silly at Up n’ Coming, a comedy variety show hosted by The Reformed Whores with guests Jena Freidman, Mindy Raf, and David Carl. (Thursday, Cobra Club, FREE)
9. Dance yourself dizzy at Bhang Bhang Bhangra, with DJ Rekha and DJ Petra keeping you moving late into the night. (Friday, Friends & Lovers, FREE)
10. Shout out all your angst at Emo Night Brooklyn, with DJs spinning all the most emotional songs of the 00s for your nostalgic pleasure. (Friday, Brooklyn Bowl, $10)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply