1. The fun roving event Drag Bingo has moved again—tonight it’s in Bed-Stuy, hosted by the great drag king Murray Hill, along with special guest and marvelous burlesquer Maine Attraction. (Monday, C’mon Everybody, FREE)
2. NY Obscura Society’s Cinema Club has put together Monday Night Matinee: an evening of curated short films that harkens back to the Golden Age of cinema, presenting newsreels, serials, cartoons, and other shorts from the 1930s through the 1960s. (Monday, Videology, $12)
3. Although Valentine’s is firmly behind us, it’s always a good time to learn about the science of love. The Secret Science Club welcomes a biological anthropologist to answer some questions about romance, brain chemistry, and Tinder. (Tuesday, Bell House, FREE)
4. BackFat Variety presents a comic take on dinner theater at The Murder Investigation of Rick Cousteau, a whodunit comedy show in a Cobble Hill Bar. (Tuesday, 61 Local, FREE)
5. See some very questionable scientific methods at the Educated Guess Science Fair, hosted by Steven DeSiena and Jo Firestone, where participating “scientific comedians” will exhibit displays prove a hypothesis of their choosing and awards will be given by dubious experts. (Wednesday, Littlefield, $5)
6. Shake it all out at queer dance party POLARI, featuring tunes from Lemon Verbena and Lady Basement and burlesque, go-go, and acrobatics by Darlinda Just Darlinda, Crista Marie, and The Faguettes. (Wednesday, House of Yes, $5)
7. Save your appetite for The Flavor Battles, brought to you by the Masters of Social Gastronomy, with talks on the history of artificial food and the modern-day chemists who currently make it, plus a head-to-head blind taste test between natural and artificial flavors. (Thursday, Museum of Food & Drink, $12)
8. Perform grade-school-level skills with the added fun of booze at We Bee Spelling, a drunken spelling bee and fundraiser for two great orgs: Change for Kids and We Bee Growing. (Thursday, Knitting Factory, $20 to watch; $30 to spell)
9. Launch your weekend with some great art: Norte Maar’s neighborhood-wide art crawl Beat Nite is taking over Downtown BK, with galleries and art spaces from BRIC to UrbanGlass to Clover’s Fine Art staying open late for your perusing pleasure. (Friday, various spaces around Downtown Brooklyn, FREE)
10. Or launch it with some booze: party mavens Gemini & Scorpio invite you to the Cocktail Experiment, a speakeasy challenge where guests bring a surprising liquid ingredient and the resident bartender whips up a fabulous drink incorporating it. (Friday, Gemini & Scorpio, FREE w/ a cocktail ingredient)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar here, and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!