1. Tap into your creativity at a Mask Workshop, an experiential, educational, and therapeutic mask workshop using your creative imagination and focus to also create a space for emotional expression with those around you using these masks. (Monday, X Marks the Loft, $20-30)
2. Careen through pandemonium at You’re One Of Us, part stand-up, part improv, part physical comedy, part character comedy, part political comedy, and all imagination with new material each week. (Monday, JACK, $10)
3. Make use of your fire escape at Urban Gardening 101, where you’ll discuss making DIY planters and garden structure, hands-on solutions to urban gardening problems, choose plants suited for urban life, and get your hands dirty. (Tuesday, Catland, $15)
4. Bring your preferred art medium to Drink & Draw and check out the first D&D at this venue, and doodle, sketch, draw, or paint a live model. (Tuesday, The Platform, $5 suggested)
5. Celebrate our nation’s independence at The Lot Radio Block Party with DJs playing all day from noon to 11pm, posting up with a great view of the huge fireworks display from the East River. (Wednesday, The Lot Radio, FREE)
6. Have dinner with a view at the Farm Fourth of July for their sixth annual celebration with food, drinks, music, and fun for the whole family, with proceeds going toward supporting the farm and keeping their doors open to the public all summer long. (Wednesday, North Brooklyn Farms, $20+)
7. Super size your comedy at the Super Fast Super Selfish Standup Show, where super funny comedians tell their favorite jokes, and then hostesses Paige and Nora tell some jokes, with the show clocking in at just 60 minutes. (Thursday, Pete’s Candy Store, FREE)
8. I want my B-I-N-G-O at Yo! MTV Bingo, with two rounds of bingo to satiate your senses, first up is Pop Diva bingo, followed by Yo! MTV Bingo with music in between each round and prizes like vintage LPs and booze. (Thursday, Alligator Lounge, FREE)
9. Take in the performance art of Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal who perform an homage to Leonard Cohen’s songs and “pushes the entertainment value of contemporary dance closer to the level of a rock concert or big-budget musical.” (Friday, Prospect Park Bandshell, FREE)
10. Hop right in to Howl’s Moving Tassels, a burlesque show tributing Hayao Miyazaki’s lushly animated works performed by some animated lushes, incorporating characters like Totoro and Ponyo. (Friday, Bizarre Bar, $10)
PLUS: the PopGun crew is celebrating Fourth of July on the Elsewhere Rooftop! we’re hosting an eight-hour party with tons of talented local homies spinning house, disco, soul and more all night. of course, it wouldn’t be a proper 4th without a cook-out. lucky for you, Holy Ground BBQ will satisfy your munchies with pulled pork, chopped brisket, and chargrilled veggies. P.S. stick around for sick views of fireworks later on the night. Buy tickets here.
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply