“Hotel art” is used as a slur against less-than-great paintings. But this is Brooklyn, and hotels here aren’t exactly the Red Roof Inn in Norman, Okla., so you’ll probably get a good shake with something on the walls of a new boutique hotel. The Brooklyn Arts Council is seeking artwork by Brooklyn artists to be purchased (as in, for moneys) for Hotel 718, a new hotel on Duffield Street downtown opening this fall. The deadline to be considered for the 128-room hotel is June 14.
The stipulations, via the Arts Council:
- Only two-dimensional works on paper will be considered.
- Artworks should not exceed a paper dimension of 36 inches height x 48 inches width.
- Artists may submit up to 3 different artworks in each of 3 price points: $300 and under, $301 – $400, $401 – $500.
- All artwork submitted must be unframed. Hotel 718 will frame the artwork.
- All artworks must be original, reproductions are not allowed.