1. Talk through the tough questions at Decolonizing Edition: Building Sustainable Masculinity and explore key questions through the lens of gender and play, using unique theatre-based games to build community and develop the vocabulary for talking about masculinity. (Monday, X Marks the Loft, $25)
2. Strike out at Gutter Ballz: A Sleazy Soiré hosted by Detox performing with The Gutter Ball Dancers, Ellis Miah on The Ones and Twos, Tina Burner, Brenda Dharling, The Assassins + more! (Monday, Brooklyn Bowl, $15)
3. Get brash with brass at the Honk NYC Kickoff Party that starts a week of brass bands playing all over NYC, featuring Hungry March Band, Plezi Rara, The L Train Brass Band, and Wollesonics. (Tuesday, Market Hotel, $5)
4. Let’s talk about death at Death Cafe, an informal gathering to discuss philosophical, political or scientific ideas around the most universal topic of all: death. (Tuesday, Greenwood Cemetery, FREE)
5. Get dressed up for Contextualizing Fashion, a multi-medium art show that draws upon the symbiotic relationship between fashion and art, showcasing artists who explore fashion as a prime motivator in their work. (Wednesday, The Norman and Rubelle Schafler Gallery, FREE)
6. Walk down the red carpet to Bushwick Film Festival Opening Night with the east coast premiere of ‘Bushwick Beats’: six stories, six directors, six unique short films, all under the backdrop of Bushwick with a different look into the theme of unconditional love. (Wednesday, House of Yes, $20)
7. Show off your parlor tricks at Cabaret For and Against Humanity and play cards against humanity to take home coveted prizes while also enjoying cabaret, performances by The Pinocchio Band and Gina and Carly, and improv from House of Worms. (Thursday, Gemini & Scorpio Loft, $5-10)
8. The title is all too real, check out Laugh to Keep from Crying: A WoC Comedy Showcase, an all women of color comedy showcase, hosted by the hilarious Milly Tamarez and featuring Arti Gollapudi, Jen Kwok, and many more. (Thursday, Starr Bar, $10-15 suggested)
9. Immerse yourself in art at the Open Call People’s Choice Art Show for two floors of amazing art in every medium, and everyone who comes gets to vote on their favorite to determine who wins a solo art show, plus bands playing all night. (Friday, Greenpoint Gallery, FREE)
10. Learn to cast spells at Magic Spells with the Tarot, a hands-on workshop where you will make a personal tarot spell charm for your own intention, students of all levels are welcome with no experience with tarot necessary. (Friday, Catland, $15)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply