1. Bust out your best costume at I Have A Crazy Idea, celebrating its 10th show with a costume-themed party bursting with music, comedy, storytelling, burlesque, performance art, poetry, and most other plausible activities. (Monday, Branded Saloon, $donation)
2. Laugh like no one’s watching at Butterboy. This week, hosts Jo, Aparna and Maeve will be joined by featured comedians Rob Cantrell, Emily Flake, Jennie Sutton, and Alzo Slade. (Monday, Littlefield, $10)
3. Read the writing on the wall at Signs of Resistance with Bonnie Siegler, a world-renowned graphic designer, speaking about and showcasing a collection of visual expressions of resistance throughout American history. (Tuesday, Brooklyn Public Library, FREE)
4. Let’s talk about death, baby, at Death Cafe where “death educator” and funeral director Amy Cunningham invites guests to share their thoughts and feelings on death. (Tuesday, Green-Wood Cemetery, FREE)
5. Laugh the night away at U Up? Valentine’s Day edition, with a long lineup of comedians plus a chance to win goodies from Babeland during the audience storytelling competition. (Wednesday, The Corners, FREE)
6. Explode with love at the Valentine’s Village of Love Show with the Lemon Twigs, short sets by Kid Congo, April March, Shilpa Ray, Rev. Anderson & his Love Choir, Jonathan Toubin DJing and others. All proceeds go to Planned Parenthood. (Wednesday, Music Hall of Williamsburg, $20)
7. Slow your film roll at MFON: Women Photographers of the African Diaspora Book Signing for the inaugural issue of MFON, featuring over 100 female photographers of African descent. (Thursday, Brooklyn Museum, $40 for the book)
8. Get your groove on at Smooth Operator: A Sade Party celebrating all things Sade, plus other smooth ‘n sultry singers keepin’ it sexy all night. (Thursday, C’mon Everybody, $5)
9. Celebrate Myrtle Ave. Black Artstory Month at Our History, Our Pride: Hindsight is 20/20 with an exhibition of 20 collage sketches depicting individuals who have made truly unique contributions but have gone unrecognized, along with stories and spoken word. (Friday, Local’s, FREE)
10. Delve into the past at Secret AV Club: A Watergate Chat featuring Leon Neyfakh, who will be speaking about his podcast on Watergate, Slow Burn. (Friday, secret location, $12)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply