[Ed note: Reminder, we now have a separate roundup for activism-focused events, which we encourage you to check out here.]
1. Do some literary globetrotting at Fiction in Foreign Cultures, a panel moderated by founder and director of NY Writers Coalition Aaron Zimmerman, featuring Deborah Clearman, Ben Dolnick, Lauren Sanders, and Iromie Weeramantry. (Monday, Greenlight Books, FREE)
2. Karate-chop your way into the week at the inaugural Drunken Masters, a celebration of the best and worst action flicks, with themed drink specials and a discussion of the film’s legacy in cinema, tonight featuring Jackie Chan’s kung-fu classic Drunken Master. (Monday, Knitting Factory, FREE)
3. Escape into destruction at Wreck the Joint’s monthly showcase Flew the Coop, with comedy, storytelling, and performances from Alex Pavone, Sydnee Washington, Melissa Diaz, Otis Gray, Becca Beberaggi, and LeClerc Andre. (Tuesday, The Footlight, $8)
4. Fruit it up at Pairs n Pears, where you’ll see pairs of artists creating in different genres: comedy by Rosa Schwartzburg and Khalid Rahmaan, poetry by Jaime Wright and Barrett Law, and music by Marc Andre and Niko — plus pears! (Tuesday, Muchmore’s, $5)
5. Get hot for teacher at Van Halesque, with burlesque and go-go performances paying homage to dirty rock ‘n’ roll, starring Minnie Tonka, Whimsy Pimsy, Beezlebabe, Mina Minou, Scarlett Lace, and Lucy Lipstick. (Wednesday, Cobra Club, $15)
6. Bid a very sad adieu to the Annoyance at their last show ever (in this location!), the Holy Fuck Comedy Hour, an evening of eclectic comedic material written in a week with no rehearsals. (Wednesday, Annoyance Theater, FREE)
7. Tickle your senses at Scentcraft: The Alchemy of Perfume, where Asc Helvetius will shed light on the scent-mixing process, the histories of ingredient sources, and the ties between herbalist magic and scent. (Thursday, Catland, $15)
8. Or for something a bit less sweet-smelling, head to Uh-Oh: Stories From People Who Pooped Their Pants, with tales from Anthony P. DeVito, Selena Coppock, Courtney Maginnis, Ahri Findling, and Julia Shiplett. (Thursday, Legion, FREE)
9. Giggle demurely at LAWL: Ladies and Womyn Laughing, an all-female comedy showcase featuring Sarah Lazarus, Maya Deshmukh, Anna Roisman, and Maria Heinegg. (Friday, New Women Space, $10)
10. Dance your face off at Custom, a new monthly dance party and fundraiser, tonight with tunes by DJ Lexi Illexxandra Ferguson and proceeds going to the Sylvia Rivera Law Project. (Friday, C’mon Everybody, $5)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!
Leave a Reply