1. Start the year off groaning at 51 Worst Jokes, where comedians perform their “corniest, unrelatable, most problematic” material — and then get yanked off stage with a cane. (Tuesday, Tender Trap, FREE)
2. Or start it rocking hard at the 11th Annual Doctors Without Borders Benefit, with Runny, Mighty High, Star Spangles, Trashy, and The Whores. (Tuesday, Saint Vitus, $12)
3. Hit all the high notes at Battle of the Divas, billed as what would happen “if Roast Battle and Debate Club had a super gay baby,” with comedy, pop-culture, experts, and drag performances. (Tuesday, Union Hall, $6)
4. Get literary at the Flapperhouse Reading #12, launching the magazine’s 12th issue with Anthony Cappo, Leland Cheuk, Deirdre Coyle, Alibi Jones, Ron Kolm, and Francine Witte. (Wednesday, Pacific Standard, FREE)
5. Doodle drunkenly at the Cocktails and Coloring Club, where you’ll have your fill of New Year’s–themed pages to color, plus zombies, drag queens, ’90s nostalgia, dogs taking selfies, and more. (Wednesday, Berg’n, $5)
6. See strange wonders at Weird World: APAP Showcase, with “adventurous and experimental” musicians including Time Is Fire, KOLTUN, Locobeach, and Yotoco. (Thursday, Knitting Factory, $10.50)
7. Travel to a distant land to hear Raba by Ensemble U, the most renowned contemporary classical ensemble in Estonia, known for performing demanding compositions without a conductor. (Thursday, Firehouse Space, $10)
8. Enjoy some enlivening attempts at Failure!, a monthly queer performance workshop, tonight featuring Hystée Lauder, La Llorona, Marc/Sigourney, Miz Jade, Ms Ter, and Munroe Lilly. (Thursday, Bizarre Bar, $10 suggested)
9. Laugh shockingly at Comedy Electric, with jokes from Sarah Belle, Tom Delgado, Brandon Collins, Christiana Jackson, Courtney Maginess, and Nathan Macintosh. (Friday, Franklin Electric, FREE)
10. Show your appreciation at Thank You For Everything: House of Yes Turns One, a raging dance party with go-go aerialists, resident DJs, cake, balloons, and plenty of surprises. (Friday, House of Yes, FREE w/ RSVP)
Want more? Check out our full events calendar and add your own event today!
Wouldn’t you love to have all these events in your inbox? Subscribe!