2. Mondays will be just a little funkier thanks to the Motown on Mondays DJs spinning the best of soul, disco and R&B at Brooklyn Bowl (Monday)
3. Brokelyn alum Sue Smith has Free Cable for you, but it’s a comedy show, not a way to watch Girls without paying. Eh, at least this way you aren’t waiting around all day for a technician (Monday) (more…)
1. Legion hosts a comedy show that’s chock full of Brokelyn as our pals Jo Firestone and Sue Smith perform at Cool Show (not lame). Sounds cool (Friday)
2. Rooftop Films will give you a whole new pickup line after you see Fuck for Forest, a movie that asks the question “Can sex save the planet?” Our rockin’ van says yes, ladies (Friday)
3. Or stay off the roof and see a movie anyway when stoned teenagers Bill S. Preston and Theodore “Ted” Logan travel through time meeting luminaries like So Crates, in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (Friday) (more…)
Our friends, Eric and Sue, creators of Brokelandia, have unearthed archival footage with an important message for the youth of today. ”Are You a Hipster?” Find out here. (And for outtakes, check this out.)
Like us, you’ve probably been sitting at home and nodding along to episodes of Portlandia because so much of it applies to Brooklyn too, doesn’t it? Overly precious artisans, aggressive bikers, culturally one-upping slackerati and, of course, an exaggerated sense of being a special society unto itself. On Friday, Carrie and Fred were in town for the Portlandia road show comes to the Music Hall of Williamsburg, and of course it had been sold out for weeks. In lieu of seeing the stars up close, please enjoy our tribute to the show, with Team Brokelyn’s first-ever video project: Brokelandia! (more…)
When you hear the title “Get Pregnant With Comedy,” it either means two things: 1) the comedy is so good it will create life in your under regions, even if you’re a dude (which can lead to instance of live sandwich birth, according to one Brooklyn OBGYN; or 2) you’ll be having such fun at this free dive bar comedy night, you’ll make Totally Awesome Decisions that involve shots of Rumple Minze and finally using those novelty Sarah Palin condoms you got three years ago. Either way, totally fun, right? Tonight at flame-kissed Hank’s Saloon on Atlantic Ave., check out a free night of comedy featuring Gabe Delahye of Videogum, Daryl Ellerbe, Julia Stratmann, Shakir & Malcom, Jessica Darakjian and our own Sue Smith! And if you fancy yourself a cat with LOLs, you get a chance to tell your own joke on stage — the winner gets a $20 bar tab!
Think of all the shitty jobs you’ve had in your life. Mine included: babysitting, selling skateboards, shilling cupcakes, writing about real estate, working at restaurants, teaching ice skating and teaching yoga. (I even went to Madonna’s house once on an errand. Pristine.) Now think about how angry it makes you to constantly be someone’s bitch. Now imagine if you wrote about a show about all that anger. Good news: I did! It’s called Minimum Rage and it’s tonight at 8pm at the Upright Citizen’s Brigade Theatre. It’s a measly $5. I’d love it if you came, we got angry together, and you told all your friends about it. This week, it’s a TimeOut New York Critic’s Pick!
We’ll all be there with bloodshot eyes and caffeine shakes. And you can also catch some of your favorite comedy stars from Hollywood, including Scott Adsit, Horatio Sanz, Bobby Moynihan, Donald Glover and Paul Scheer. Festivities officially start Friday at 6pm and run straight through Sunday at 8pm. Say you wanted to see a show Watch me try to be funny after having been up the whole night before. (more…)