Despite the fact that he lives in a buffalo wing mansion next to a river of kickin’ lickin’ Wasabi dipping sauce, Guy Fieri is a chef. So if he decides to come across the river from his Times Square diabetes factory, it actually makes sense that he’s pop in to Roberta’s. After all, celebrities from Greta Gerwig to David Chang proclaim their love for the Bushwick institution, so why wouldn’t Guy stop in as well? It can’t be any stranger than a naked waitress.
Despite the fact that the mercury is barely getting above 70 with any regularity, summer is coming, we swear. We think. And once it gets here, you’re going to want to spend it dancing with people who are as drunk and naked as you are, which is why you go to Tiki Disco at Roberta’s. The schedule dropped, and the big news is that they’ve added a third location to host the parties, the Knockdown Center, which is just across the border in Queens. So don’t forget your passport. (more…)
At some places, when you retire, they give you a gold watch. Others, a cake maybe. At Roberta’s though, they do things differently. Been working there for years and moving on? Sure, waitress naked for a couple hours, no harm in that. (more…)
Because you only help out for the pizza, right? Just kidding. We know you’re better than that. Right? Um, that was weird. Anyway, today through Thursday, Roberta’s will be collecting new, unwrapped toys in its Tiki Bar for the Rockaway community. With every toy you bring, you can get a glass of wine or draft beer AND a pizza roll for just $6. Heyoo! Roberta’s legendary pizza for cheap. Cue Homer Simpson mouth watering.
It’s a universally acknowledged truth that brunch is just about the best thing ever. But all those eggs, pancakes and unlimited mimosas are usually only available on Saturday and Sunday mornings (or, err, afternoons?), and if you’re like me, a wonky weekend work schedule might be keeping you from all the fun. But have no fear, Brokesters, because we found a whole bunch of Brooklyn breakfast spots that serve frittatas, and occasionally even bloodys on the weekdays, just for you! Food Baby Tuesday, anyone? (more…)
The Rockaways have been good to all of us here in Brooklyn, to the point that it’s easy to forget that they’re actually part of Queens. One of the companies that the Rockaways have been so good to is Roberta’s, who opened up surf shack Ripper’s with the Meat Hook last year. Now that the Rockaways look like something out of Katrina, Roberta’s is helping out the best way they know how: with pizza and beer. (more…)
2. There’s some really obvious joke to be made about the words “free” “pussy” and “riot” being thrown together, but instead we’ll just say screw Vladimir Putin. (Friday)
3. Party with New York’s notoriously shy and retiring queer community. (Friday)
4. Finally, having kids pays off. Aside from the tax breaks, you lucky jerks. (Saturday)
5. Missed the Makossa Brooklyn Cookout all summer? Here’s your last chance. Gone to every one this summer? Make sure to go so that you can finish your punchcard. (Saturday)
Dear friends in Bushwick: if you want to successfully lure the rest of us out of our brownstone Brooklyn comfort zone, do this from now on, because this video promo for next weekend’s free Bushwick Block Party is INSANE AND TERRIFYING yet still intriguing all at the same time, and has that only-in-Bushwick aesthetic to it. You don’t have to hold all these kinds of events to get us out there, btw; just make a video like this and we’ll be over. [vid is slightly NSFW, especially if you work in a place full of Puritan epileptics]:
But then again, how else would you promote Andrew WK coming to your hood? (more…)
1. Check out posters for shows you never went to. Don’t worry, it’s art. (Friday)
2. 5th Avenue is full of music, and for once, it’s not because you’re having auditory hallucinations (Friday)
3. Pass Kontrol comes to South Brooklyn! You guys! They’re so good! And the other bands are too I bet. (Friday)
4. You’re already described as dazed and confused by your friends on the regular, so go drink under the moontower. (Friday)
5. Roberta’s is selling plants from their garden. Just another reason to go to Bushwick and then bitch about how far it is (Saturday)
6. Teach yourself to fish and you can eat
for a lifetime through the apocalypse (Saturday)
8. Yo yo, who the boss when it comes to these songs? Ghostface (Saturday)
9. Has anyone ever heard of this “Mermaid Parade“? (Saturday)
10. Get thee to a kayakery! (Saturday and Sunday)
11. A bike tour where you get educated AND you eat tacos. WHAAAAT? I freakin’ love this city (Sunday)
12. If you’ve always wanted to be Mrs. Ira Glass, here’s your chance to impress him with your charitable disposition. Oh, and help people. That too. (Sunday)
13. You’ve laughed at Hannibal Buress for free at the Knitting Factory, now laugh at him in Red Hook (Sunday)
Don’t take my word for it though (actually do), go check out the Brooklyn Events calendar. Got an event of your own? Well, list it there! It’s free!
Twitter founder Biz Stone snapped this photo at Roberta’s yesterday. Brunch: uniting bros and hipsters since 2012. Side note: Biz is like the 50th celeb lately to show some Roberta’s love. Dave saw Anthony Bourdain and Talib Kweli filming there yesterday, Jimmy Kimmel is a fan, so is Aziz Ansari, and chef David Chang said it’s the only restaurant he goes to in Brooklyn. Roberta’s: Nobody goes there anymore; it’s too crowded.
Keep In Touch
"Oh sweet, thanks!"
"Also in Bay Ridge there's the "Friday Movie Night" series. Schedule here:..."
"Parents just don't understand"
"It's like Queens."