Maybe it’s all those Kate Hudson rom-coms I watched, but making it as a lady journalist is a lot tougher than it seemed during my Talk-Girl-toting days. Any J-school grad could lay out the bare bone facts of the media industry’s gender issue. It’s a teeter totter out there, one with a fat kid eating a gallon of ice cream on one end and a housefly on the other. The discrepancies aren’t breaking news anymore: We’re past reporting, and into corrective action. So how do we even the ratio out? (more…)
In case you missed it, NY Times Magazine culture editor Adam Sternbergh recently gave out some free advice on Twitter on how to do something all you ink-stained wretches have dreamed of doing at some point: writing for him. Whether Sternbergh would actually accept your pitch based on his suggestions or just laugh you into the digital purgatory that all my pitches for all time live in quiet misery, we can’t say (though word is the magazine is way more internet-youngun’-friendly these days).
MediaBistro rounds up the highlights from his under 140 character suggestions, which include: “Too-long pitches. One graf max. Short pitch does not = reductive. Remember: I eventually have to sum up story in a dek;” and “Pitch a story, not an idea. Story has characters, timeline, conflict. Like a movie!” and “If you haven’t got a reply, there’s 98% chance I haven’t read it and 2% I hate it and am spiritually paralyzed. Good odds!” Most of us are still just happy enough to get the courtesy of a rejection letter every now and then.
Keep In Touch
"looks incredibly lame...pretentious-fest with overpriced foodstuffs"
"Nino....another fuckin immigrant . . . .yes there are broke white people too. I suffer..."
"HI I LIKE YOUR STUDIO APARTMENTS,WANT TO GET A TIME AND DAY TO SEE IT!"
"The three hours I spent at Googa Mooga yesterday were sort of fun, but ultimately it's..."
"This looks lame. Have two GA tix for tomorrow, but after seeing these pics and this post,..."