1. Get tingly at the book launch for Nerve Endings: The New Trans Erotic, with readings by contributors as well as performances and more. (Friday, Industry City Distillery, FREE)
2. Giggle about what’s good at the Silver Linings Comedy Show, featuring Patrick Schroeder, Subhah Agarwal, Mike Abrusci, Courtney Maginnis, and more. (Friday, Precious Metal, FREE)
3. Affirm creativity for all at this month’s Queer Abstract, with comedy by Lou Gonzalez, music by Carissa Matsushima, poetry by Paul Tran, dance by Nia and Ness, and more. (Friday, Starr Bar, FREE) (more…)
1. Start your week off laughing at the reliably fun Side Ponytail Comedy Show, tonight with Melinda Taub, Diego Lopez, Noah Findling, and Chelsea Hood. (Monday, Over the Eight, FREE)
2. Learn more than you ever wanted to know about vermin at Our Pesky Neighbors Part 3: Rats, a discussion with NYC’s “Rat Czar” Robert Corrigan, rat historian Robert Sullivan, and rat geneticist Jason Munshi-South. (Monday, Brooklyn Historical Society, $10)
3. Try some tabletop fun at the Tuesday Board Game Meetup, with games on hand like Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Galaxy Trucker, and Ticket to Ride, plus a demo of Monarch. (Tuesday, The Brooklyn Strategist, $10) (more…)
It’s been a rough couple of years for bacon — the W.H.O. classified everyone’s favorite meat as a Group 1 carcinogen, folks started getting more into pork belly, and bacon apologists like the Brooklyn Bacon Takedown quietly took a leave of absence. Well cheer up, bacon-lovers, because our favorite competitive eaters, the Takedowns, are bringing their great AYCE bacon cook-off back to Brooklyn.
And what are you gonna do, NOT eat all the bacon they make? Yeah, right.
After years away, the amateur cooking competition/all-you-can-eat extravaganza Brooklyn Bacon Takedown is coming back to town. On October 23 from 2-4pm, it’s $20 for all the bacon you can fit in your face at Arrogant Swine (173 Morgan Ave.) in Bushwick. Sounds like a “how much bacon can you eat in two hours” challenge if we’ve ever heard one. And all we can say is, challenge accepted. (more…)
Add some surreality to your weekend with Matt Knife & Co. (#5)
1. Fête the Farm on Adderly at their 10-Year Anniversary, with free food and drinks, live music by Gioel Severini Jazz Trio, and party favors. (Friday, The Farm on Adderly, FREE)
2. Stuff yourself with art at Finger Food, the inaugural exhibition at new gallery The Hand, with work by 20+ artists, food-based performances, and cake. (Friday, The Hand, FREE)
3. Prove that love is a lie at Let Me Break You Up, an anti-dating show where host Carly Ann Filbin tests real life couples to see if they’re meant to be together. (Friday, Pete’s Candy Store, $5) (more…)
The Schlep Sisters will light allll your candles (#13) (pic by Ben Trivett)
1. Geek out at a night of Nerd Nite lectures: topics include supervillains, celebrity scandals from the ’20s, and sci-fi’s killer ladies. (Friday, $10)
2. Get funky with the Brooklyn Ballet’s Nutcracker Sweet!, a thoroughly modern take that includes LED-spangled tutus made by NYCResistor, hip-hop and Middle Eastern dance choreography, and projections of vintage Brooklyn. (Friday through Sunday, $25)
This, but free. You don’t have to pay for this. No money down, no money at all actually. via Facebook
Love yourself some brunch but think it should be available as early as brunch, social “norms” be damned? That’s cool, we understand, and we’re thrilled to inform you that you can finally have the fat-laced barbecue brunch you’ve been waiting for. More importantly, the fat-laced brunch comes with FREE BLOODY MARYS.
According to DNAinfo, Arrogant Swine (173 Morgan Avenue), East Williamsburg’s new barbecue joint that was previously giving you free pig tattoos, is going introducing a brunch menu this Sunday. Brunch goes from 11am-4pm, and to celebrate the achievement, they’re featuring live music and yes, giving away free bloody marys courtesy of UBONS. As if brunch wasn’t enough of a drunken disaster. (more…)
You certainly won’t regret any of these in oh, let’s say, a day. via Instagram
If you’re going to open a restaurant in Bushwick, now the neighborhood of restaurants, you’re going to have to stand out in some way to get people to notice you. Arrogant Swine, a new BBQ spot opening on Morgan Avenue, is offering the chance for patrons to come get marked for life at their opening party with free tattoos from Gnostic Tattoo. Free tattoos of pigs, as seen above. Hey man, its your life. (more…)