- This event has passed.
Mind and Body: Mental and Physical Health Resources for Dancers
Oct 23, 2014 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm| Free
The Dancers’ Resource and The Harkness Center for Dance Injuries are co-presenting a short workshop for professional dancers and choreographers on mental and physical health and wellness resources.
Topics covered in this workshop will include:
• Services offered through the Dancers’ Resource and The Actors Fund, especially regarding mental health.
• For what situations professional mental health services might be needed and how to find affordable service providers in the NYC area.
• Mental health wellness lab: brief experiential exercise using mindfulness meditation and guided imagery.
• Services provided by the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries
• Overview of financial assistance programs available for patients coming to the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries
• Injury prevention and management information and guidelines
• Movement lab: stretching, stability, and control exercises to promote healthy participation in dance
The Dancers’ Resource program of The Actors Fund addresses the distinctive needs of dancers facing health problems or injuries. The Dancers’ Resource was created in recognition of the unique situations dancers face because of their demanding work coupled with the significant financial challenges of earning a living in dance.
The Harkness Center for Dance Injuries at the NYU Langone Medical Center is dedicated to providing the dance community with the highest quality injury care and preventative resources. Harkness offers a full variety of affordable health care options from free preventative screenings to subsidized and sliding fee-scale injury management systems.
Part of The Actors Fund Community Arts Festival 2014.