- This event has passed.
House Party: MAPPING BROOKLYN feat. The Rub and The Commons Choir
Mar 14, 2015 @ 2:00 pm - 11:55 pm
BRIC continues its series of House Parties, with special daytime activities, including family dance classes, film screenings, art making, and other participatory activities; and a nighttime musical main event, with a live band, DJ, and dance party.
2-8pm FREE PROGRAMS
8pm-12am DANCE PARTY $10 Adv | $14 Door
Inspired by BRIC’s contemporary art exhibition of the same name, we’ll be mapping out an all-day event with artists and activities which observe, collect, explore, interact, depict, and diagram all that is Brooklyn. Live music, film screenings, dance classes and more; including The Commons Choir performing a sound and movement “investigative musical”Brooklyn Resound, which explores Brooklyn as crucible for the whole nation. An evening dance party by The Rub, voted by The Village Voice“Best party in Brooklyn to dance sweatily” will complete the picture by adapting with the times but never forgetting the foundation of hip-hop, classic disco, funk and soul.
Come play games such as Checkers, Connect Four, Candyland, Uno, Twister and more on the Stoop and in the gallery, all day long!
FREE | GALLERY & STOOP
Educational Activity: Mapping My World – Green Screen Animations
An educational animated art-making activity for kids of all ages!
FREE | TV STUDIO
Immigration Stories with Off The Page Education
Bring us your tales, your stories, your journeys. Share your “from there to here.” Lend us your immigration story as we map the city. The collected stories will be the foundation of a new devised show this summer, a collaboration of Off The Page, The Old Stone House and Piper Theatre Workshop. We Were Strangers Once, Too.
FREE | GALLERY
3:00 – 8:15pm
An Array of Performances by NYC’s Top Subway Buskers!
FREE | VARIOUS LOCATIONS IN BRIC HOUSE
- 3:00-4:30pm | Lynn Gentry Prose | GALLERY: Lynn is a Brooklyn-based musician and poet.You can frequently find him at the Union Square subway platform, or on Bedford Ave where he turns out poetry about any subject on the spot, via his typewriter. Lynn will be typing poems at BRIC House for free.
- 3:00-3:30pm | Paul Mueller | SWING SPACE: Paul is a veteran busker who plays the hammered dulcimer, and is a member of the explosive world class percussion ensemble, Mecca Bodega. Watch him play in this VIDEO.
- 4:00-5:00pm | Sung Lee | STOOP: Sung recently won the infamous “Amateur Night” at Harlem’s Apollo theater with his champion beatboxing . Watch more on these VIDEOS.
- 5:00-6:00pm | Najah Lewis | SWING SPACE: Najah is a beautiful singer/songwriter currently residing in Brooklyn, who recently made it onto the next season of American Idol. Hear her sing in this VIDEO.
- 6:30-7:15pm | Marc Mueller | GALLERY: Marc is a multi-instrumentalist, focusing on the didgeridoo in his busking performances as the Street Mule. Brother to Paul Mueller, he is also a member of the world-renowned group Mecca Bodega. You can usually find him at the Atlantic Terminal or Times Square subway stations. Watch him perform in this VIDEO.
- 7:15-8:15pm | Mr. Reed accompanied by WAFFLE Dance Crew | STOOP: Mr. Reed has performed in the stations of Barcelona, Amsterdam, and of course, is a frequent busker in NYC and has also been a featured contestant on the TV show America’s Got Talent. Born and raised in East New York, Mr. Reed will be joined by his band and the infamous WAFFLE subway dancers. Watch him perform in this VIDEO.
Family Dance Class with Yaminah Legohn
Map Brooklyn through dance in this class by Cumbe Center for African and Diaspora Dance instructor Yeminah Legohn.
FREE | BALLROOM
Five Boro Story Project
The Five Boro Story Project invites you on a journey through Brooklyn with true stories about exploring the borough and its changing terrain, from Park Slope to Bed Stuy. Master storytellers will recount personal neighborhood tales connected to artworks in the exhibition Mapping Brooklyn. Following the performances, share your own Brooklyn anecdotes, memories, poems, and more in our open mic.
FREE | BALLROOM
Chloe Bass Scavenger Hunt
Come and explore visual artist Chloe Bass’s special project “Mental Map“at BRIC House, through a scavenger hunt! The hunt is for all ages and self-guided so that BRIC visitors can take part throughout the day.
FREE | HALLWAY ACROSS FROM BALLROOM
Feed your obsession! Come to BRIC’s Media Lab on the 2nd Floor for a group play of MINECRAFT (the super-addictive video game about breaking and placing blocks) via BRIC’s souped-up video computers and super high speed internet! Mad fun for all ages.
FREE | MEDIA LAB – 2nd FLOOR
Brooklyn Resound with The Commons Choir
Movement, voice and theater intersect to create an embodied sonic map of Brooklyn as refuge, site of arrival, microcosm and crucible for the nation in its troubled but indestructible aspiration toward peace and equity. Interested in being in a future Commons Choir performance? Click HERE for more information.
FREE | STOOP
The Rub is going to get you moving!
$10 | BALLROOM