- This event has passed.
“Empire State” Panel and Launch Party — Presented by Sugarlift
Mar 6, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm| $10
• What: Launch party for Sugarlift’s exhibition of contemporary street photography, “Empire State.” A celebration of the city’s best young photographers.
• Where: Livestream Public, 195 Morgan Ave, Brooklyn, NY (Closest Subway: Morgan Ave stop on the L Train)
• When: Friday, March 6th from 6-10pm
• From 6-7pm, a live panel discussion about street photography will be held at Livestrem Public, featuring the photographers behind “Empire State.” Attending the panel is free with your ticket to the launch party, but space is limited. The panel will also stream live on the web!
• From 7-10pm, the launch party with live music, food and drinks provided by Fitzcarraldo (open bar from 7-8pm, followed by cash bar), highlights from the collection.
• Capacity is limited, so buy your ticket in advance. Tickets at the door will not be available if the event is sold out. Ages 18 and up.
Buy your tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/empire-state-panel-and-launch-party-presented-by-sugarlift-tickets-15716560656
Sugarlift, an online art gallery based in Bushwick, Brooklyn, is excited to announce the release of its third major collection, and the first to feature photography — “Volume 003 (Empire State).” The exhibition presents over 30 new photographs by 12 of New York’s best contemporary street photographers. The launch party will be held at Livestream Public (a short walk from the Morgan Ave stop on the L Train) on Friday, March 6th from 6-10pm. The event will feature highlights from the collection, live music, food and drink from Fitzcarraldo, and a chance to meet the photographers. In advance of the exhibition opening, a live discussion featuring a panel of artists will be held at Livestream Public at 6pm.
“Empire State” presents the recent work of local street photographers who are spearheading a new movement of urban photography. These artists capture images from rooftops, bridges, sidewalks and abandoned spaces, using their cameras to capture the people and places of contemporary New York. They are rightly considered to be pioneers of a new kind of street art, replacing the spray can with the camera and encouraging the instant sharing and re-sharing of their images over the Internet. Leaders are emerging in this movement and each is pushing to define and broadcast his own aesthetic vision of the city.
“Seeing these photographs together in a collection is an exhilarating experience,” says Sugarlift co-founder Wright Harvey. “This movement is so full of youthful energy, and it comes across in every picture. We knew we had to put this together right now, in 2015, because it will never be the same again. ‘Empire State’ is a celebration of the great art being made by these young photographers, and a tribute to their tireless drive to go where no one has been, see what no one has seen, shoot what no one has shot.”
Select photographers featured in “Empire State” include:
• Anna Siam — @annamal
• Dave Krugman — @dave.krugman
• Humza Deas — @humzadeas
• Ian Buosi — @shot_by_ian
• Giovanni Elao — @insighting
• Jose Silva — @jnsilva
• Marzena Szymanska — @marzenka_
• Raheim Simon — @black_soap
• Rob McCarthy — @wrongrob
• Ryan Parrilla — @novess
• Sam Morrison — @samthecobra
• Steve Irby — @stevesweatpants
The launch party for “Empire State” will be held Friday, March 6th from 7-10pm, at Livestream Public, 195 Morgan Avenue in Brooklyn (a short walk from the Morgan Ave stop on the L train). The event will feature highlights from the collection, live music, food and drink from Fitzcarraldo, and a chance to meet the photographers. Tickets are being sold through Eventbrite for $10 per person in advance, $20 at the door.
All the work from the “Empire State” collection will be available on sugarlift.com (in limited editions) starting March 6th.