- This event has passed.
Brooklyn Waterfront Past & Present Boat Tour
Aug 8, 2015 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Step aboard the luxury yacht Kingston on this intimate two-hour cruise narrated by guides from Turnstile Tours that explores the Brooklyn waterfront past and present, from the borough’s historical emergence as an industrial powerhouse, to its resurgence today as a major center of innovation, industry, and recreation. The Brooklyn waterfront has long been a major economic engine and cultural touchstone for New York City – there’s no better way to explore this dynamic landscape than from the water. This special series of boat tours is hosted by Turnstile Tours and Classic Harbor Line, departing from Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier 5.
– The Brooklyn Navy Yard, a former Naval shipyard now home to more than 330 creative and manufacturing businesses
– Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges
– Red Hook and Erie Basin, where we will share stories of residents and waterfront businesses in this historically working-class neighborhood
– Governors Island – from military base to parkland
– The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
– Hear stories of the diverse range of businesses and entrepreneurs inside growing industrial and creative clusters along the waterfront
– See other emerging uses for the borough’s waterfront, including the development of new green spaces and infrastructure that have reconnected neighborhoods with the city’s waterways and play an important role in protecting the shoreline and maintaining the health of the harbor.
For most tours, the Turnstile Tours guide will be accompanied by a guest speaker who will offer commentary on specific sites and themes, including historical uses of the waterfront, contemporary manufacturing, and shoreline ecology and resiliency – see Turnstile Tours’ website for the complete line-up.
This tour will be offered with two distinct itineraries on alternating weeks. All tours will include the sites above, as well as:
Southern Route (Itinerary 1): The Gowanus Canal, Industry City/Bush Terminal, and the Brooklyn Army Terminal (offered 8/15, 8/29, 9/12, 9/26, 10/10)
Northern Route (Itinerary 2): Domino Sugar development, Williamsburg and the Newtown Creek (offered 8/8, 8/22, 9/5, 9/19, 10/3)