- This event has passed.
$10 Two-Hour tour: Lower East Side Bites & Sites
May 18, 2014 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm| 10 payable at start of tour
This two-hour Bites and Sites tour is the perfect way to discover neighborhood’s blend of cultural diversity, rich history, and great, affordable food. Though you main gain a little bit of weight, you will gain a LOT of knowledge and unforgettable stories.
The tour is designed so that you can choose what (if anything) you want to eat at each of the stops. THE BITES:
Yonah Schimmel’s Knishery – Eat what my ancestors (and maybe yours) ate back in the old world! Handmade potato knish for $3.75 (other flavors too!) Big enough to share, too yummy you may not want to!
Prosperity Dumplings – Hands down the best pork fried dumplings you have ever eaten. Four big ones for $1.25. Other non-pork and vegetarian items just as delicious and cheap).
Doughnut Plant – Splurge for the to-die-for Crème Brulee doughnut for $3.50 or stick with tried and an incredible glazed doughnut for $3
Kossar’s Bialys – a warm bialy for .90 cents from the oldest bialy bakery in the United States. And yes, I will tell you what a bialy is…. once we get there.
The Pickle Guy – .75 cents for a pickle that has been sitting in a barrel for weeks, pickling, and waiting just for you!
In between our noshing (snacking), I will be taking you to some of the most interesting sites of the area.
As we walk off the bites, these are the SITES you’ll learn
* what was Lady Gaga doing in a 130 year old synagogue
* how did Vladimir Lenin’s statue end up on a rooftop on Houston Street
* why Orchard Street has been closed as a pedestrian mall for over a hundred years, even though no pedestrians show up!
* who painted those gorgeous murals on cargo containers on East 1st Street and is it even legal?
* how the ABC-NO-RIO political collective got its nonsensical name
* what is Matzoh- and if you know already, what Streit’s Factory is all about
* what will be the fate of a 130 year old abandoned and landmarked synagogue in the face of the massive SPURA transformation taking place in the LES (and what the heck is SPURA?)
* and so much more info!
A memorable and fun afternoon is guaranteed for all!
RESERVATIONS RECOMMENDED. Visit our facebook event to JOIN event. www.facebook.com/newyorkwalkabouts